Aids to Disabled Living

Jane Tunmore writes: 

Dear Friends, Now I am old and unable to be very active physically I have found that my husband and I are having to deal with various infirmities. I have gained some knowledge about sources of help. There does not seem to be a single source of information. I have learnt of these sources from all kinds of people, mostly through sharing stories with other carers.

Jane’s list:

Bristol Care and Repair for information about repairs, installing safety rails and giving advice and addresses of locksmiths, plumbers etc. For over 60s (I think).

The Outside Clinic tel 0800 60 50 40. NHS for people over 60 years or with medical conditions. They provide home visits by qualified opticians and audiologists (with no pressure at all to buy their make!).
Doctor referral necessary, then make your own arrangements.

Wrist or pendant personal alarms available from Bristol City Council, about £45 x 4 a year, about 2 minutes for a response.

Bristol Community Transport tel 0117 941 3713.

Bristol Dial-a-Ride (Social Access) tel 0845 130 1875. Charity providing transport – short journeys to appointments and leisure activities. £5 a year, then free. One trip a week guaranteed, more if possible. Currently under new management, whereby they are run from London, not locally!

Armchair Gallery – an on-line app giving a tour of five art collections available for dementia sufferers. Available via dementia network.

Centre for Deaf and Hard of Hearing charity tel 0117 939 8653.Free and helpful advice or gadgets to help installed for free by BCC Working Together.

Singing for the Brain charity to help people with memory loss.

Home-Insteadan outstanding domiciliary home care agency. Tel 0117 989 8210.

Attendance Allowance given to people who care for someone else, by Bristol City Council. Ask ‘Age UK’ or ‘Talking Money’ about getting it.

Bus Pass Companion. Anyone with a bus pass who needs a helper when using buses can apply to Bristol City Council (BCC) for a ‘Companion Bus Pass’. BCC will print a ‘C’ on their bus pass to enable their companion to travel free.

Main hospitals have a team of volunteer helpers to aid those in wheelchairs etc. Contact the hospital.

Bolton Bros Henleaze hires out wheelchairs and sells many aids for disabled people.

Wiltshire Farm Foods. Award-winning provider of frozen meals.

Age UK gives information on many things connected to Age.

Talking Money a charity which gives advice on monetary matters.

Carers support groups give help to carers. Henleaze c/o Monica Rudston 0117 942 6095 or 07851 120312. Email

Red Cross provides some help, including with shopping.

The Brandon Trust provides groundwork in the garden and with small trees. Also trains people with learning difficulties to do this work.

Safe and Sound private firm which does repairs to domestic appliances. Local. Tel 0117 963 9301.

Blue Badge from BCC. This enables the car driver to park closer to their destination. User can use it in their own car, or when being driven in another vehicle. For use of disabled people.

Oxo kitchen aids for arthritic and weak hands, ie opening tins, peeling veg.