22 July 2018
- 29 September, 10am-12noon, open session for Friends at Bristol Prison to explore possible Quaker support for the new chaplaincy mentoring scheme which will provide support for prisoners before and after release. There is a vital need for a Quaker presence within this programme and also in other support roles within the prison. For further information and to register an interest please contact Polly Lowe (Bristol Prison Chaplain) at email@example.com, phone 07974442625.
- September – October, ‘Finding Out About Quakers’. Residential courses for newcomers, and for those worshippers thinking about membership, at Charney Manor (Oxfordshire) and Swarthmoor Hall, Ulverston. Details on their websites.
- 19 – 21 October, ‘Bridging the Gap: hope and action’, BYM Sustainability Gathering at Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick, Derbyshire. Are you interested in representing Bristol Area Meeting at this event? Please tell Julia Bush, so that your name can be passed on to Area Meeting for possible nomination and funding support. .
Other news and events
- A reminder: Redland Quaker Meeting House – Visioning Group
In our local business meeting on July 1 we agreed in minute 18/46 to develop a long term vision for our meeting house and Richard Drake was asked to convene an initial Visioning Group. The vision is not intended to develop specific detailed proposals and options but to find unity on how we can imagine our buildings meeting our long term priorities bearing in mind that : “The use of our Meeting House should reflect our primary purposes as a worshipping community committed to ‘letting our lives speak’.” The intention is to include as many people as practical in the development of this vision and the visioning group will meet to steer us through this process. At this stage I would like to hear from as many people as possible the way(s) in which they would like to be involved with this process. Please let me know by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like:
– To belong to the core group which will meet at least monthly between now and November 2018, probably immediately before or after Meeting for Worship
– To contribute by making email suggestions/proposals
– To join an online discussion group (possibly email or Facebook)
– To participate in wider group discussions or events to gather and understand others’ views
– Any other ways to participate (please define)
Thank you – Richard Drake
- Autumn Meetings for Learning and Study Groups
It’s time to plan for the autumn, when we will resume Meetings for Learning and could start new Study Groups. If you have ideas or requests for either of these, please contact Linda Ewles, Learning & Action Hub Coordinator on email@example.com
- Can anyone help a refugee student with accommodation in Bristol?
We have had a request from the clerk of Lancaster Quaker Meeting to help a refugee with leave to remain who is studying to be a nurse. His clinical placement will be at Bristol Royal Infirmary from 5th November. He needs accommodation (which he is able to pay for) preferably near the BRI. Further details from Julia Bush or contact Ann Morgan, Clerk, Lancaster Quaker Meeting on 07977012328 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Local exhibition “Heart of the Matter”
Being mindful of Friends with heart conditions we’re recommended to visit “Heart of the Matter” art exhibition at RWA and The Centrespace Gallery. The publicity describes it as an invitation “to discover the extraordinary nature and complexity of this organ through artworks inspired by patients with heart conditions, their families and clinicians”. The show is on now until 14th August. More information on www.insidetheheart.org and RWA website www.rwa.org.uk.
This week’s appeal
- Jenni Harris for NW Bristol Food Bank www.bristolnwfoodbank.org.uk.
Please note that Julia Bush is away until 25 July. Julia will collect the appeal money on 29th July and 5th August.
Julia Bush, clerk, Redland Local Quaker Meeting. Please send notices for next week to her by end of Friday, and include ‘Notices’ in the email subject line. If you would like to receive a copy of the Notices by email, let Julia know.
MH = Meeting House; MfW = Meeting for Worship; AM = Area Meeting; LM=Local Meeting.
(At present, we do not usually include email contacts* on the Redland website in order to protect their owners from possible spam – you can find most in your Redland List of Members and Attenders.)
*exceptions may be made where an owner specifically requests inclusion