Redland Local Quaker Meeting, Bristol
21 July 2019
- Sat 20 July, 6pm, Quaker Film Club in the Library. The film ‘I, Daniel Blake’ will be followed by a sharing supper.
- Sun 21 July, Young Adult Friends lunch and conversation after Meeting for Worship (details from Hirad Babakhani).
- Sun 21 July, 10am, Meeting for Learning in the Library, ‘Shades of Green – personal struggles with climate crisis’. Richard Drake will lead a discussion about doing what each of us can do to address the climate crisis.
- Sun 21 July, 2pm, Area Meeting at Bedminster Meeting House.
- Fri 2 August, 2.30 – 3pm, Avenue House Meeting for Worship.
- The next Redland Meeting for Business will be on Sunday 8 September, 12.30pm.
- Advance notice: Redland Meeting’s September sharing lunch will be on Sunday 1 September. CYP volunteers will also meet and eat on 1 September.
- Advance notice: Quaker World Relations Committee will visit Redland Meeting House from 20 – 22 September, including a meeting about international Quakerism for Bristol Quakers on Saturday 21 September at 4-6pm (followed by shared supper).
- Advance notice: Saturday 12 October, 10.15am – 4pm, Quakers in Britain workshop at Redland MH on ‘Building relationships in Children’s Meeting’. Booking at https://www.quaker.org.uk/events/building-relationships-in-children-s-meeting-401a7a45-26b2-430b-8c22-93bb7970d80d.
- Advance notice: Area Meeting day conference at Central Meeting House on Saturday19 October titled ‘Quaker Perspectives on Climate Crisis’.
Other news and events
- Sat 20 July, 6.30pm, Palestine Museum, Broad Street, BS1 2HG, ‘Women in Hebron: resistance through embroidery’.
- Sat 27 July, 7pm, Palestine Museum, Broad Street, BS1 2HG, ‘Popular resistance in Palestine: a history of hope and empowerment’, a presentation by Mazin Qumsiyeh, Director of the Palestine Museum of Natural History, Bethlehem.
- Redland Meeting has agreed to make a substantial donation to the national Sanctuary Everywhere appeal. This Quaker programme is offering several autumn events, including a Woodbrooke conference ‘Envisioning a world that is open to all’ (27-29 September) and a Sanctuary Everywhere Skillshare at High Leigh, Hertfordshire (4-6 October). Full details on the BYM website, and LM financial support may be requested.
- Please note a request from the chaplain at St Monica’s for an assistant for an older Christian woman who wants to go on retreat to Ammerdown in early September: full details on the noticeboard near the lift.
- Accommodation request received from Ben Jarman, member of Westminster Meeting, who will be doing PhD research at HMP Leyhill (near Wootton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire) for three months in early 2020. Full details on noticeboard.
- Sadly, our warden Bill Thatcher is unwell. The wardens hope to carry on with many of their normal duties but Louise would appreciate help with stacking chairs after Meeting on Sundays.
- Greetings and fair weather wishes for the Bristol Quaker Camp 2019, from 27 July – 3 August.
- by Hilary Mayne for North West Bristol Foodbank
Message from Julia Bush:
Thank you to the Friends who will prepare and read the Redland notices while I am away on holiday (18 July – 5 August). Please send your notices to these Friends.
21 July – Isobel Clark will read the notices.
28 July – Linda Ewles will prepare and read the notices.
4 August – Heather Lister will prepare and read the notices.
Julia Bush, clerk, Redland Local Quaker Meeting
Please send notices for next week to Julia by end of Friday, and include ‘Notices’ in the email subject line. If you would like to receive a copy of the Notices by email, let Julia know.
MfW = Meeting for Worship; AM = Area Meeting; LM=Local Meeting.